Monday, September 12, 2005

Congratulations, England!

England have, for the first time in 18 years, won the Ashes from Australia. (That would be cricket, for you American readers.) I did, in fact, watch much of it and I must confess that, despite my untrained and relatively uninformed eye, I actually got a bit hooked on it.

That said, I must say that there is something fundamentally wrong with a sporting event in which a best-of-five series can end 2-1. (This will, I don't doubt, be dismissed by cricket aficionados as a typically crass American thing to say.) And I have just one, embarrassingly obvious, suggestion to obviate the 19th century need for a "bad light" rule: this new invention called "lights".

Still, congratulations, England.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

To be fair, they do play limited over Cricket under floodlights and (usually) bad light coincides with rain, which does of course stop play. Having said all that, it is difficult to explain how you can play a game for 5 days and still get a draw!

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home