Monday, August 29, 2005

What the BBC won't tell you

Here are some more comments from Cindy Sheehan, from a rally earlier this year on behalf of Lynne Stewart, who, you might recall, is the radical lawyer for terrorists who was convicted of lying, aiding and abetting terrorism, and conspiracy to defraud the government.

I take responsibility partly for my son’s death, too. I was raised in a country by a public school system that taught us that America was good, that America was just. America has been killing people, like my sister over here says, since we first stepped on this continent, we have been responsible for death and destruction. I passed on that bullshit to my son and my son enlisted. I’m going all over the country telling moms: “This country is not worth dying for. If we’re attacked, we would all go out. We’d all take whatever we had. I’d take my rolling pin and I’d beat the attackers over the head with it. But we were not attacked by Iraq. {applause} We might not even have been attacked by Osama bin Laden if {applause}. 9/11 was their Pearl Harbor to get their neo-con agenda through and, if I would have known that before my son was killed, I would have taken him to Canada. I would never have let him go and try and defend this morally repugnant system we have. The people are good, the system is morally repugnant. {applause}

Please – teach your babies, teach your babies better than I taught my babies. When Congress gave George Bush the right to go to war, they abrogated their constitutional responsibilities and they basically made our constitution null and void. We have no checks and balances in this country. We have no recourse. If they’re going to what they did to Lynne, they don’t have backs they call names, what we need to be is, we the people, we’re their checks and balances. We’re the only checks and balances. We have to stand up and say, Not only is this our school, this is our country. We want our country back and, if we have to impeach everybody from George Bush down to the person who picks up dog shit in Washington, we will impeach all those people. Our country needs to {unintelligible} we need to start over again.

The notion that the US is good and just is “bullshit”? We have a “morally repugnant” system and our country needs to “start over again”?

These are the thoughts of the woman that Justin Webb would have you believe is at one with public sentiment in the US, and whose lead he says politicians in the US are following. The fact that the BBC continues to employ this man and broadcast his “reports” is further evidence that the problems at the BBC are primarily institutional in nature, not simply individual instances of poor reporting.

(hat tip: Attila)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At the weekend Justin Webb was chairing the main news programme on Radio 4, I believe.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Marc said...

No doubt, Britons are the worse off for it.

Sadly, so is America.

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home