Friday, June 17, 2005

Pedantic TAE

Admittedly, this is a small, picayune, and in all ways largely unimportant point to make. But it bugs me, so I’ll make it anyway.

Today from The Guardian:
The US increased pressure on China to free an American-based academic who has been jailed on spying charges, with 40 senators, including John Kerry and Hillary Clinton, writing to President Hu Jintao yesterday demanding his immediate release.
You know, I was kind of on the fence as to whether it was all that important that 40 senators are demanding that Yang Jianli be released from the grips of an insular, oppressive, communist state, but if such moral icons as John Kerry and Hillary Clinton are involved, well, that’s pretty relevant information. Consider me on board, then.

1 Comments:

Blogger Richard John said...

I suspect this is a brand-name recognition thing for the Guardian readership. They probably recognise Kerry and will certainly recognise Clinton. I suspect the average senator has as much chance of being recognised by the Guardian reader as the average MP has in Kansas.

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home